Friday 18 December 2009

Short story

I was reading the Evening Standard the other day (I know, I know, but it is free these days and therefore littering every train carriage so it's hard to avoid) and there was a problem page where a reader found it difficult to approach women. Part of the advice was to pursue women whom he genuinely found attractive, rather then trying to bolster his confidence by approaching "the shortest, fattest, ugliest woman in the room".

At barely over 5 foot, I have to say I was surprised and not too flattered to see "short" in there right next to fat and ugly. Is being little really such a turn-off? I mean, some men like leggy women certainly, and of course models generally have to be tall to show off the clothes to their best advantage. But if you look at other female celebrities who are generally considered to be beautiful, then they are all different heights and plenty of short women are drop-dead gorgeous - Kylie Minogue springs to mind, and celebheights.com (yes really) informs me that Shakira, Eva Longoria and Cheryl Cole are all shortarses too.

I've never felt that being short makes me unattractive (not that I'm very good looking, but I don't think it's my height that's holding me back). I would take a census among my male friends, but if I ask the question then they're hardly likely to feel able to be completely honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment